The U.S.A. J-1 Internship program is a cultural exchange program by the U.S. Department of State, which gives students, recent graduates and young professionals from around the world the opportunity to come to the U.S. and share their culture and ideas with Americans while receiving in-depth training in the Hospitality industry for up to 12 months.
Gather valuable international work experience in the field of Culinary, F&B and Rooms Division positions. The contracts are put together to ensure you are matched up with the most suitable position according to your qualification for 12 months. On your return to South Africa, you would be able to include this international work experience and continue to climb the ladder within the industry locally!
J1 Warehouse partner with unique local funders for this opportunity and these partners will pay all the costs up front barring an application/commitment fee and whilst working you will pay this upfront cost back to them from your monthly stipend you are earning in the USA.
Practical hands-on training in your field of study or work experience
Cultural Exchange – to learn about America and to share your SA culture with America
Learn the American hospitality industry from a 4 or 5* resort and hotel in the USA and bring this knowledge back to SA
12 Month placement only – you will return to SA prior the end of 12 months
Earn money to pay your loan and monthly expenses, in some circumstances depending on hours you would be able to save a bit of extra money each week.
Typical Internship Position Information:
Culinary/ Food and Beverage/ Front Office and Rotational positions available
Minimum of 40 working hours per week and more depending on the season
Minimum of $10 per hour
Hotel groups such as Marriott/Hilton/ Ritz Carlton/Omni and many more popular brands
Placements throughout the USA
Housing situations vary based on location of placement.
Transport, Food, personal items and any other emergencies not covered by insurance are for your own expense
Loan repayment per month
This program should not be regarded as a money-making opportunity and should not be seen as an opportunity to send money back home, you will earn enough money to pay the above expenses each month and possibly save a little extra money at times. The program is more focused on gaining valuable experience in the field to better your chances of furthering your career once you return to SA.
All year round program
12 Month J1 intern/trainee visa program.
Two options are available:
1. Trainee Program
This option is available if you have one of the following:
a) A professional qualification (certificate/degree/diploma and at least 1 year’s professional experience in the same field)
b) At least 5 years experience in a specific field.
2. Internship Program
This option is available to students between 19-29 years of age who are currently enrolled or are within 12 months of graduation and who would like to gain experience in the same field of study.
Repeat participation is allowed under following conditions:
- In all cases, repeat participation should address the development of more advanced skills or a different field of expertise
- Interns may repeat as interns if they are still a student or recent graduate
- Trainees may repeat after a 2 year period of residency outside the USA.
- Interns who wish to be Trainees may do so after a 2 year period of residency outside the USA.
- Submit application on online portal.
- Application is received and processed. (5 - 10 business day)
Applicant is successful accepted into the program.
- Applicant gets placed.
- Applicant receives necessary documents to go for Visa interview.
- Visa interview is booked
- Applicant goes to visa interview, if successful applicant moves on to next step.
- Flights from SA to USA are booked for applicant. (From JNB/CPT)
- Applicant prepares for departure to USA.
Program Loan Includes:
- Applicant Screening and Placement with US employer
- J-1 visa sponsorship and issuing of DS 2019 forms.
- Orientation in SA and USA
- Health and travel insurance - major medical emergencies only
- Return flights from Johannesburg, rent contribution upfront, stipend
- Support while in the USA
- Learnership and an NQF4 qualification at the end of your program.
- Live in the United States for up to 12 months and receive in-depth training in a Hospitality department
- Get an hourly pay while receiving training in Food & Beverage, Front Office or Culinary Arts
- Learn about the U.S. culture and learn about working in a U.S. workplace
- Improve your English language skills
- J1 Warehouse helps you with the J-1 Visa, an Hourly Paid Placement, Insurance and more
- Get to travel through the United States for up to 30 days after your training program ends
J1 Intern Application
Thank you for your interest in embarking on an adventure with us. Please fill out the form below to apply for our J-1 Internship Program. After you have submitted the application form, we will contact you within 2 business days to schedule a Skype chat.
If you are having trouble with the application form please email us at email@example.com
Step 1: Fill Out Your Application and Admin Form
Step 2: Wait for your Email Receipt and Next Steps
We offer a guarantee you will get placed within 90 days or we give you a risk free refund of 90% no hassle payback.
No questions asked! Refunds are always excepted within this time period.